Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hummers!

No, I am not talking about really large SUVs. Rather, about hummingbirds. About 7 days ago, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a hummingbird at one of the windows. I quickly made sugar water (boil 1 cup sugar and 4 cups water), and let it cool. Up went the hummingbird feeder. We have now gone through 5 quarts of nectar .......in 6 days.
Photo of Calliope Hummingbird by Linda Besse, May 2009

I have identified 4 species at our now 3 feeding stations. Calliope, Rufous, Black-chinned, and Broad-tailed. In previous years we have had some passing visits, nothing like this. The best time is from 8pm - 8:30pm. I can sit outside in a chair about 5 feet from the lowest feeder. They will go whizzing by me to get their fill as the sun sets. As many as 13 are there at once trying to feed from 8 "flowers". Mini hummer wars ensue and I have had their wings brush my hair and shoulder. What great fun!

1 comment:

sschopfer said...

I know you consider yourself a wildlife painter, but you are also a fabulous wildlife photographer! Hmmm (speaking of humming)...on the other hand, maybe the term "wildlife artist" covers both.