Thursday, May 20, 2010

Completed Painting

Cat-a-mount
Original Oil
16.75" X 30"
Sometimes titles are easy. I might even have a title before I begin a painting. Others, like this one, require some work. I had thought of a number of titles, but none seemed to convey what I wanted. So, I grabbed the dictionary looking up words like vista, promontory, and perch.
The next step was alliteration. Rock Retreat or High Hold. All efforts fell short.
Then I thought to look up cougar and the other names associated with this cat. Puma, mountain lion, panther. And, cat-a-mount from the Middle English cat of the mountaine. Perfect. Cat-a-mount is the abbreviation and generally refers to any of the wild cats, specifically cougar, then lynx.

2 comments:

Erik van Elven said...

Great painting Linda, it was nice to see it come alive. I'm also a fan of the more impressionistic approach so I love how you handled the fur and rocks. Only small thing I don't like is the bright brown leaf in the snow below the cougars tail. My eye get drawn there every time, I would tone it down personally.

Linda Besse said...

Hi Erik,
Thanks for following the painting progress and for your nice comment on the fur.
You raise a good point about the burnt sienna leaf. And, in the digital photo posted, I can see where it would be distracting. However, in the painting, there are a number of burnt sienna passages throughout which aren't appearing in the photo. The leaf does not appear out of place or draw attention.
That being said, I will look more carefully at the overall color balance to see if the leaf should be toned down.
Thanks for your comment!