Thursday, July 15, 2010

What's wrong with this picture


As a child, I remember that picture game where you had to identify all the things wrong with the image. The car only had 3 wheels, the tree didn't go all the way to the ground, the bike the child was riding had only the left portion of the handle bars.

That is what I do with my paintings. Looking at this piece, I see a number of things "wrong."
1.) The stick on the right side of the painting sweeping along the contour of the rock. So distracting. It may have been there in the reference photo, but it is just not working.
2.) The lioness appears washed out. Maybe if I darken her and add some detail.
3.) The lion's head appears too orange for the rest of the piece. I want to paint all of him before I make any changes, so I will consider what needs to be done then. (note: I do like the coloring of the shaded tail and will work from those colors.)
4.) The lion's mane needs more definition.

3 comments:

Erik van Elven said...

Good observations.
I might shorten the branch growing out of the lions head too as I find it to be distracting.
Coming along great Linda.

Linda Besse said...

Thanks Erik.
By the way, you were totally right about the leaves in Cat-a-mount. I fought and fought the suggestion, but in painting them out, the piece is much better. I also adjusted some sticks behind his head. The revised image will be uploaded on my website sometime next week.

Erik van Elven said...

Good to hear I could help Linda.