Friday, April 26, 2013

Taking Shape


Finally. I have been waiting and waiting until I moved down to the water. Up until now the piece has been mostly monochromatic. A subtle palette has its place but it wasn't what I envisioned for this dramatic landscape. I knew once I painted the water, the background would become more alive.

There may still be color shifts and balance issues I'll want to address in the background after the caribou are painted. I won't know until I see how each of their lights and darks work with the landscape.

Here I have added more trees to the right side and have started blocking in the nearest right slope.

 After cleaning my brushes today, I noticed the middle section of water was too visible. Back to the easel and out came the brushes to fill in the trees. Now the main body of water steals most of the attention.

No comments: