Monday, June 11, 2018

New (and Old) painting

Mixing old and new - I have been crazy enough to paint two of these before. The first one is a group of paintings hanging in the Victoria and Albert Museum, the second one is from the Smithsonian's Museum National Gallery of Art.
Art Appreciation by Linda Besse

The Art Student by Linda Besse
     
I've been wanting to paint a more intimate piece. Below is the start. This painting hangs in the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya in Barcelona, Spain. It is by Juan de Burgunya (also referred to as Juan de Borgona, Joan de Burgunya and a host of other close spellings.) Painted between 1515 and 1525, the oil painting on wood is titled Virgin and Child with Infant Saint John (Mare de Déu amb el Nen i sant Joanet.)
I am not sure I could choose a more difficult piece - and I am painting it at an angle! Here goes.
.

 I have to admit I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out where to start on the masterpiece once the frame was painted. Finally settling on the straight line of the "platform," I began with the shadowed water.

No comments: