Thursday, August 19, 2010

Continuing

Yes, I decided to paint each animal. Maybe sometime I will do a group with only the raw sienna / burnt sienna wash, but not this time.

Eyes take me a long time to paint. If I don't get them just right, the animal doesn't come alive. Once I get the first eye right, then it stares at me and challenges me to do all the others justice!

Another time-consuming aspect of this group idea was the layout. What animals should I use from the forest? What cropping? What position are they in the painting? I knew I wanted the upper left and upper right sizes to match, a longer one in the upper center and a double eye more square format in the bottom center. The bottom left and right should also match for symmetry. Let's just say it was complicated planning.

No comments: