Friday, September 9, 2011

A Leap, a flock, a herd


A Flamboyant of Flamingos
8" X 11.5"
Original Oil

One of the things which gives me the giggles is the group name for a number of animals. Since we were children, we learned a flock of birds, a herd of cattle, and a pack of wolves. Now I don't know who or what group came up with the more inventive names, but I love them!

Here are a sampling: a descent of woodpeckers, a pocketful of kangaroos, an ostentaion of peacocks, a trunkful of elephants, a clowder of cats, a murder of crows, and one of my very favorites, a leap of leopards. (I have also seen a spot of leopards.) It just so happens that flamingos come in flamboyants. How appropriate. And hence, the title.

Painting nature I don't have the chance to use bright pinks, reds, and oranges often. Even though there is a lot of detail in this small piece, the brilliance of the colors makes the time and small brush work fun.

1 comment:

naturegirl said...

I love this painting!!!! Great work as always.