Monday, February 25, 2013

Painting with my nieces

Over Christmas, I had the privilege to help three of my nieces as they worked on original oil paintings.
Audrey from Texas arrived first and we started immediately. After choosing her subject from my reference photos, she decided on size and gessoed her own board.
My nieces from Colorado, Katie and Amanda, arrived a few days later and dove right in anxious to catch up with their cousin.
While I was in the studio acting as guide and consultant, I also had a chance to work on a piece of my own. Part of the joy for me was spending time with all three girls. We sang, we chatted, we painted together.
My thanks to Katie, Audrey, and Amanda for making my Christmas special.

Working into the evening, in true artist fashion!

Amanda
Only a quick glance up and back to painting

Amanda painting her
burnt sienna/raw sienna turpentine wash
over her drawing







 


Katie establishing her drawing grid


Katie with a good start on the
background for her owl


Audrey working on her drawing
of an African yellow weaver




Audrey's turpentine wash
over her drawing




Audrey's piece. The best part,
the bird, saved for last

Audrey nearing completion

Katie's painting in progress

Amanda's jaguar

Audrey's Yellow Weaver


3 comments:

Wes and Rachelle Siegrist said...

What great fun Linda! Rachelle's niece and nephew are still at the coloring book stage but we eagerly anticipate sharing our joy at the easels with them. Kudos to you for sharing your enthusiastic zeal for the paint with them. See you soon in Tulsa!

Linda Besse said...

Thanks Wes and Rachelle. It was a lot of fun. You'll certainly enjoy working with your niece and nephew once they are older. See you soon!

sschopfer said...

Talent and a great teacher: a winning combination. What great work!