I was tired. Concert week (I sing with the Spokane Symphony Chorale which performs with the Spokane Symphony.) We had 4 rehearsals and two concerts in 6 days. Not a lot of time to paint.
And, I had an uneasy feeling about my painting. Something wasn't right. I had already painted the sky and the birds. Why not forge ahead and figure out the problem as I go? No, I needed to listen.
So, after the 2nd concert I headed to the studio to rethink my composition. The piece didn't have the energy I wanted. I worked on figuring out a more effective composition until 2:30 am. Yes. That was better, much better. And it just so happened to be the same size as my original concept.
Out comes the palette knife and I scraped off paint from my board. Grabbing turpentine I washed off the remaining paint. After waiting for it to dry, I re-gessoed the board. Off to bed at 4:30 am. The board was ready the next morning for drawing. I did think of photographing the "destruction" of the original piece for my blog, but it was 3:30am and I didn't want to walk back over to the house to grab my camera.