Thursday, May 14, 2015

Establishing colors

This first cat head will be the slowest section of the painting. I'm constantly adjusting my colors. Cooler, warmer, lighter, darker. I may paint in a section and then see it needs more cad yellow with a hint of yellow ochre. I'll be keying the rest of the two cats from this section.

Eyes always take me a long time as I work on the right look. Pupils too big and she will look scared.  Iris too dark and her eyes will sink into the background. Just the slightest bit off and the eyes can look cross-eyed.


The painting wouldn't look so weird if I had posted after the ears were painted but I wanted you see this stage.
Also since the last post, I made the foreground shadow more blue. The cooler color adds more temperature contrast to the painting.

No comments: