Sunday, August 28, 2016

The Horse

For this next piece, I wanted to paint a horse. But, I wanted a modern feel to the painting. My neighbor has more than a dozen horses and one really caught my eye several years ago.
What if the painting focused on the horse and gave a sense of its movement?
How would I do that?

My first thought was to have an elongated format. Then it came to me that if I had the horse in three positions, I might get a feeling of the horse moving, like consecutive frames of a moving picture.

How can I create the dividing line between the different frames? Rather than experimenting on my gessoed board, I played around in Paint Shop Pro to see how several effects and widths would look. I finally decided to paint a border which would incorporate colors of the background at an angle to give an updated look.



No comments: