Wednesday, May 9, 2018

The wooden rowboat


I find this rowboat fascinating. Working on the gleaming wooden edge has been a challenge. To achieve "the look," I am using more vivid colors than first mixed. Once the rest of the boat is painted, I'll revisit this natural wood edge.


Sometimes it is difficult to pinpoint what inspires me to paint a scene. Is it the water, the reflection, the different modes of transportation or a combination?
Often it is my first impression. What caught my eye immediately was the teal green of the boat and its reflection in the water. I've saved it for almost the end. Not only does painting it now make sense, but I often "save the best for last." While having ice cream at the beginning of the meal may alleviate my sugar craving, it is far more satisfying to dip my spoon in the frozen dessert at the conclusion of the meal.

No comments: