Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Playing It Fast and Loose

Siesta
8" X 17"
Original Oil

Well, maybe not fast, but loose. After completing a painting like Good Day of Hunting with lots of intricate detail, I like to change it up by working with a more impressionistic touch.

In the Ngorongoro crater bottom I saw this group of lionesses. Midday, they were taking their ease. Of course I took lots of reference photos, but more importantly, I just watched them. The challenge in the painting was to figure out which positions I would use and how many of them would be included (I left some out) to capture that siesta moment.

1 comment:

Terry Miller said...

Ah yes, that all important aspect of editing reference to bring things into compositional balance and interest. I would say you did a bang up job! Lovely work.