Friday, March 20, 2009

Close to Home

Photo by Linda Besse, 3/19/09

I don't have to travel far from home to be rewarded with stunning wildlife. Yesterday was a perfect example. Just 1.5 miles from my home, I came across this scene of 3 bald eagles arguing over a deer carcass. I was able to watch them interact (and feast) for over 30 minutes. Always mindful to keep my distance so I don't interfere with an animal's natural behavior, I stayed in my car observing intently. It was also fun to watch a couple of eagles flying back and forth among the distant pines waiting for their turn.
As I was headed home several hours later, I passed close to the same spot and saw 2 pheasant roosters. What stunning color they have this time of year.
This is a good reminder for me to have my camera with me especially this time of year. I didn't have it when I first spotted the eagles so had to run back home for it. (and that 1.5 miles is a steep climb in slushy snow and ice. Good thing I have 4-wheel drive to get to my home!) The rest of the day proved fruitful. I also saw large flocks of Canada geese feeding on freshly sprung winter wheat, a flock of trumpeter swans in flight, deer, strutting tom turkeys, several prairie falcons, numerous mallard pairs, and a kestrel. And I wasn't trying to have wildlife encounters. Just running a couple errands.
How I love the arrival of Spring.
Happy Vernal Equinox!

No comments: