Saturday, October 30, 2010

Scarier than any Halloween

The Puzzle of packing for a show

My husband helping screw on the crate lids
If you think this is messy, you should have seen it a couple hours ago!





You have 23 paintings to pack. Numerous wooden crates. One goal. Pack all the paintings in the fewest number of crates, but with 150 pounds as the maximum weight per crate and maximum crate dimensions of 165 inches (length + girth.) With which box do you start?

I opted for Box D. Fortunately, this was a good choice. Not only did I get in my largest painting, but the second layer worked really well for 5 more paintings and one framed print. The remainder of the paintings fit in Box Y and Box O. Barely. One box ended up at 141 pounds (about 41 pounds heavier than I would have liked), but the box was in really good shape and everything fit well with no wasted space. Of course, trial and error in painting placement is in full force as one painting then another is tried in various open spaces. Or maybe I try two smaller ones? Or rotate that one over there?

This process takes me hours. I take care in packing the paintings, making sure there is no wobble from side to side if a painting is not on the bottom layer.

And the reason for this effort? The upcoming Waterfowl Festival in Easton Maryland. The VIP event kicks off on Thursday evening November 11th. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, the show will be open to the general public.

This year, all the painters will be under one roof at the Tidewater Inn. A great chance to see your favorite oil, acrylic, watercolor, graphite, scratchboard, and wood burning artists in one location!

More details about the show can be found at http://www.waterfowlfestival.org/


As for me, the packing is done. Time for a beer!


3 comments:

Terry Miller said...

Hmm, I just throw everything in my trunk and keep my fingers crossed that it all makes it to Easton in one piece! :) Looking forward to catching up in about ten days time.

Linda Besse said...

Gee, thanks Terry. Lucky.
Wish I were that close!
Looking foward to seeing you.....and your work!

sschopfer said...

It looks as though more work goes into getting them into the boxes than getting them into the booths!