Sunday, March 27, 2011

Westward Ho!

 I like to think of myself as a wildlife artist. Wild places, wild animals. Horses and cows never held the magic for me like leopards, elk, sandhill cranes, and ptarmigan. What would be the magic in painting a cow?

That is until I spent some time looking at Terry Miller's blog and the amazing magic he creates from everyday scenes of cattle and horses. Finding the beauty in what most of us would find mundane and then helping us see that beauty is a real talent. If you haven't checked out his blog, see the Link at lower right.

 Well, I have a western themed show coming up (San Dimas 35th Annual National Western Art Exhibition and Sale) and felt it was time take a "ride on the ranch." I could just bring North American wild animal paintings, but why shy away from a challenge? I'm goin' west. Over the next week or so, I'll show you the progress on this piece. It is 12" X 23" and I can already tell that I bit off quite a chunk. Below is the turpentine wash over my drawing.

2 comments:

Terry Miller said...

Wow, thanks for the plug, Linda! It is always nice to hear such being said about my work, but when it comes from another artist whose work I respect and admire, it is doubly so. This new piece skectched out of your's is going to be a beauty I believe. Will watch the progress with anticipation! Too bad Easton is such a long time from now, but maybe we can catch up in Wausau in early September? Jury willing!

Linda Besse said...

Yes, jury willing! I have one piece done and one to go. Last year was the first year I didn't attend when accepted. I missed BIA terribly. But, the call of migrating snow geese in Manitoba was too tempting. If I am accepted this year, I will try and do both.