Saturday, September 8, 2012

Home from the Arctic

I have returned from above the Arctic Circle. With our accurate GPS accounting (thanks to Expedition leader and artist Rob Mullen), the six of us completed 458.6 miles of paddling on the Noatak River. We were 3 men and 3 women and the trip was self-supporting with no resupply. Above you can see the Noatak River in the upper zone near its headwaters.

What an amazing trip. I have so many stories it is hard to know where to begin. One of my hopes was to see a muskox in the wild. I was handsomely rewarded numerous times. Maybe the best way to tell my stories is through the oil paintings which will be inspired by this WREAF trip (Wilderness River Expedition Art Foundation founded by Rob Mullen.)

I have heard it said a painter paints what he sees. I would like to amend that statement. A "good" painter paints what he feels. My goal is to capture the excitement, remoteness, and adventure of this trip in my work.

First up, a muskox painting. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

joebaxter2.0 said...

Wow! What an adventure! Wonderful!