Friday, August 9, 2013

Taking Chances

When I paint during the summer, I like to challenge myself. Dare to create the unusual. Granted during the rest of the year it is important to stretch, but during these hot summer days, why not turn up the heat in the studio?


A fun direction is to turn a grand scale idea into a miniature painting. Yes, this piece took me much longer than a work this size normally would and there were times (maybe on the 37th wildebeest) that I did wonder what was in the water when I came up with this idea. In the end, I am pleased with the result and the painting is slated for an upcoming miniature show and sale. Bet no one else in the show will have painted 64 wildebeests!


 Migration
7.75" x 13.5"
Original Oil

2 comments:

hmuxo said...

I looked at this painting quite a few times..zooming in, especially!!
I'm so amazed at how beautiful this piece is in such a small canvas!!
Congratulations Linda! Wonderful work.

sschopfer said...

The wildebeest just left of center sure shows he understands the importance of "stretching". You have really captured the straining of his muscles as he leaves the water, which is amazing in this little piece with all the other activity you have. Such detail!