Monday, July 21, 2014

Leopard Pair

It is easy to see the difference between a lion and a lioness. Not so easy with leopards and rarely are a mated pair seen together. I had the great fortune to see this pair in the wild in Kenya. Watching them interact naturally, oblivious to me, was one of the most special moments I have had in the wild.


Surprisingly, it did not take me long to figure out the male from the female. Other than the obvious difference (which was not always visible), he was the pursuer. Gentle. (The above painting in my blog header is the male licking the female.) He also looks more masculine. I put him as the upper left leopard which mirrors the upper right position of the male lion in the other painting in the set.

I've roughed in the background and some of the grasses. Next up, spots!

No comments: