Monday, June 6, 2016

Upcoming Show

June 30th - July 27th my work will be part of the Vineyard Realism show at the Louisa Gould Gallery in Vineyard Haven, Massachusetts. For eight years, Cape Cod Life magazine has voted the Louisa Gould Gallery the Best Fine Arts Gallery on Martha's Vineyard.

In addition to previous posts showing Dry Docked and One Good Tern Deserves Another in progress and completed, another painting which will be in the show is below.

Rigging
11" X 16"
Original Oil

June 2014, the whaling ship Charles W. Morgan visited Vineyard Haven harbor. My dad and I were fortunate to go on board this vintage vessel. It was hard to imagine living in the cramped quarters below deck for months on end while pursuing the world's largest creatures.

At this size, this painting was particularly challenging. Much of my work was done under a handheld magnifying glass. At the end of each day, my left arm would ache. 
Why choose this size? There were several reasons. It filled a niche in the size of paintings I would have for the show. I thought there would be less call for a giant painting of rigging. Finally, I knew it would be a challenge to pull it off.

No comments: