Thursday, December 7, 2017

Painting and repainting


Some artists use a palette knife to paint. I use one to mix paint - and scrap it off. The lower dark left section I painted three? four? times. If you add up all the changes it was more than that. Just as I thought "that is it", I'd take a second look. No. Time to move some paint around, add lighter and darker areas. After taking a break or seeing it the next morning, I'd decide to scrap off that section and start over. There are just a few more adjustments to make so I think I can put down the palette knife and move on.

For the foreground snow I am increasing the hue. There are passages of cerulean blue along with the purple tones. Below, the last of the "white" is painted.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks great, Linda. What size is this? Looking forward to seeing you in Tulsa. Scott & Leah G.

Linda Besse said...

Hi Scott and Leah,
The painting is 26" X 35". Not a standard size but that is the aspect ratio which worked best for my composition.
Looking forward to seeing you in Tulsa too!