Saturday, October 19, 2019

Frozen Salt Water

This next section I was most worried about. The top of it (starting in the lower third of the painting) needed to look further away than the very bottom of the painting.


Growing up in New England I had the chance to spend some time looking at (and occasionally walking on) frozen salt water. Adding to that some artist time in Iceland and Antarctica, could I translate those experiences into a believable chunky "bed" of frozen salt water?

There are three painting rules which could help me:
1.) distant landscapes have less contrast
2.) distance is generally less vibrant
3.) distance has softer edges

While the illusion of depth is not a great distance in this section, I kept the above rules in mind so the bottom did not look vertical.

Above I have the underlying connecting slush painted.

 Foreground ice completed.


No comments: