Friday, December 4, 2020

Bald Eagles!

 Each year near the end of November and the beginning of December, bald eagles arrive at Lake Coeur d'Alene, Idaho to feed on the spawning land-locked salmon. Fortunately for me, I live just a little over an hour away.

There is a great spot at the end of the road to watch eagles swoop down to collect their prize. A large parking lot is handy for the numerous eagle watchers. We like to climb down the bank and position ourselves across a small bay. A dead pine on the other side is Eagle Central. Sometimes there are six bald eagles on this one tree (which generates various arguments on who gets a particular branch.)

Yesterday my husband and I were a bit dubious as we drove along the lake to the end of the road. Dense banks of fog were covering the road and lake in spots. But, I was thrilled with the light when we got there.

An eagle emerging from the fog

A salmon the shallows

Barely hanging on



from my trip there Nov. 27, 2020

November 27, 2020 trip

And when the sky cleared yesterday!

Last year the eagle count was highest on December 10th. I think I might need another trip.

No comments: