Saturday, March 25, 2023

Drake Passage - More Water

 I like painting water and knew this would be a complicated painting.

Unlike a beach wave, this piece has to feel like the water is overpoweringly in control. Multiple planes are needed to define it.



Quick phone photo


I was having trouble in the upper right section of the wave where it is partly breaking. The colors I was mixing were not capturing the feeling of a bit of light passing through the water. Looking over my paints I thought maybe mixing in some Gamblin Radiant Yellow would brighten that section.

I have a confession. I couldn't open the tube. Yes, I could have gone to look for pliers but I wanted something right now. I kept looking at my yellow paints. Hmm. What about the Richeson Nickel Titanate I had?

My go to paints are Rembrandt. However, I was fortunate to win a competition which included a gift certificate to Michael Harding paints and another where I got a gift certificate to Richeson products. In both cases I chose from the reds, yellows, and blues to complement my current Rembrandt palette. Over the years I have also picked up a few paints from other manufacturers.

Back to the Nickel Titanate. I'm not sure I have used this yet so I put only a small dab on my palette. The color was a bit richer and brighter than I thought it would be. Perfect. A little bit of it mixed in with what I had already painted in that area did the trick. 


No comments: