Monday, July 10, 2023

Finished

 


Above is the photo from the previous post. 
(Note: none of the middle and foreground foam has been painted.)
I try to not hold my paintings too dear while creating them. Yes, I painted a section and liked it when I finished it, but if it is not effective with the whole it needs to be changed.
 
1.) the heavy lines here are distracting especially for a background element. I softened the whole area by adding more blue and blending into the existing paint.

2.) having foam here makes a confusing transition to the curl and draws attention away from the wave's "peak" in the middle of the painting.

3.) the inside of the curl needs to be darker and more blue (shadowed.)

4.) I wanted the feeling of pebbles underneath the waves and some dark areas but these heavy areas are too much. They are the first thing I see when looking at the painting

Those are just some of the alterations I made to finish the piece.

 
 
Below is the scan of the completed painting
 
After the Storm
Original Oil
25" X 48"
 

No comments: