Friday, February 16, 2024

Stellar sea lions

 While on whale watching trips out of Juneau and Icy Strait Point we spotted Stellar sea lions. I was fascinated by the interaction of the sea lions permitted to take their respite on a buoy and those who had to wait their turn. 

The trip out of Juneau on a small guided boat in rough water with just six passengers was the more exciting of the trips for the camera. I wedged myself in to one corner of the open air stern so I could hold on to my camera with both hands. Often it was too rough to photograph so I lowered the camera and watched the sea lions, memorizing the colors and feel of the scene.



I started the painting with the sky and mountains then worked my way down through the water. The foreground water is just roughed in at this point.

No comments: