Thursday, June 27, 2024

Something Completely Different

 Painting dead animals is something I have done before: a lion with a zebra kill, a fox with a sik-sik, a leopard with an impala, a snowy owl with a sharptail.
 
This dead animal will be in a different "setting" - a place setting.
 
Each element in this painting is something I have not painted before. And why am I doing this? Once again, this is a chance for me to "stretch my brushes." 
 
In addition to painting new things I am exploring bold primary colors. 
 
Here goes.
 

 


I met this creature in person. He was my dinner.
We were in lobster season and he was plucked from the ocean by a lobsterman that morning.

In designing this painting there was a lot of editing. All extraneous elements were removed; the white bowl of fiddleheads, extra water glasses, the bread bowl, the bread plate, and the background dinners of my husband and mom.  None were essential in telling the story.








No comments: