Friday, July 31, 2009

The Right Color

Back to the leopard and the tree.
(continued from blog entry July 27th)

In some paintings, one element can mean the difference between a successful painting and one that falls short. The color of the leaves of the acacia are crucial to this painting’s success. If they don’t capture the light and airy nature of the tree, I don’t think the painting will be effective. So, I spent quite a bit of time mixing greens. I like to have all my colors for something like this mixed before I begin. That enables me to study the color combinations and I can gage more accurately how they will work in the piece.
With so much foliage to paint, I decided to start in small sections. At least I could feel like I accomplished something as I completed section after section.

No comments: