Monday, July 13, 2009

Where do paintings come from?

There are probably as many answers to that question as there are paintings. For me, it can be as involved as an extensive field trip followed by research, or as simple as a sighting along the road. My current painting had its birth from the latter. Some huge Bighorn rams could be seen from Interstate 90 in Montana. A quick exit from the freeway and a few back roads led to some nice photos, but not a painting ....unless I made some artistic adjustments.

The background is uninteresting. While the 3 rams in the photo are nice, there were five. Four together and one a little distant. A painting with a fuller grouping will be more dramatic. The curls on their horns were impressive and might need only a little tweaking.


I have some distant mountain shots from the Rocky Mountains which I think will add some depth to the piece. The sky is a little busy, but I like the shape of the mountains. With some color adjustment and painted as a mirror image, this might work. (Of course if it was a distinct mountain scene like the Tetons or an individual mountain like the Matterhorn, I wouldn’t think about a mirror image.)


The next consideration is size. It this a showstopper piece? A large signature work, a medium sized painting, or a miniature? Sometimes the idea dictates the size. Sometimes I look to see what sizes I need to achieve a varied inventory. Sometimes I just want to paint a particular size. This time I thought it would be fun to paint an expansive scene in a small format. I have chosen 10" X 17.5"
Stay tuned for the finished painting.

2 comments:

Peter Brown said...

Linda, thanks for a thought provoking post.

My greatest fault is being a slave to my reference photos; I know I need to work at designing paintings in my mind as you describe.

As to the size, I always have a gut feeling when I settle on a subject. A big idea almost demands a big painting! I note your comment about developing a varied inventory though.

It will be fascinating to see you develop this idea and follow it through to completion.

Linda Besse said...

Thanks Peter.
Sometimes it takes me quite a while to decide on a size. As any artist, there is a temptation to think that my current big idea is just the best ever conceived, by anyone! That would lead me to make every painting...HUGE!

As a realist, I know not every painting will work, and some ideas are better left unpainted.

That said, often it is not the idea which dictates the size, but rather what size I feel like painting. Granted, the idea may be subconciously suggesting what size I feel like painting, but what size I feel like painting could be developing the idea.

Aaghh. No wonder it takes me a while to decide on size!

Glad your intuition (gut) is a good guide for you.