Thursday, January 26, 2012

A New Miniature

Horns of Plenty
6.75" X 4.25"
Original Oil

Even though small paintings take me longer per square inch to complete, I still like to do them. First I try and find a subject and composition which can carry such a limited size.

When I started painting this piece, I had mountains in the background and they weren't working. The mountains were muddy-ing the focus. I grabbed my blending brush and away they went. What I was left with was this mottled background. Next I worked on the darks of the Bighorns moving then to their bodies and saving the horns for last.

You are actually seeing more of the painting than will be seen when it is in its frame. About 1/4" from the top and left side will be covered. I plan for that when I am working out the composition.

4 comments:

Colette Theriault said...

Nicely done Linda; I agree in this case with the background being plain...I love the colors btw! Fitting title too. Cheers, Colette

Linda Besse said...

Thanks Colette!

naturegirl said...

nice!!!!! I hope you are having a great weekend.

sschopfer said...

This could be nicknamed "Horns Aplenty". ;-)