Saturday, April 20, 2024

Finished & coming up with a title

 

Title - see below
Original oil painting by Linda Besse
14" X 18"
 
Image above is a scan of the original painting
 
 
Sometimes I have a title of a painting before I start. There are paintings in which a title develops while I paint. Then, there are paintings in which the title eludes me, briefly.
 
I wanted a title which reflected a sense of place and maybe the presence of the Adele penguins. 
So many titles were rejected. Way Down South felt confusing as that is also used for the southern part of the U.S.  I considered Way Cool but it didn't resonate the way I hoped. Shortening Way Cool to Cool! wasn't right either. It wasn't cool, it was cold!
 
Ah, cold. The title?
Cold Never Bothered Me 
 
For any who have seen the Disney animated movie Frozen, the last line of the block-buster song Let It Go is the cold never bothered me anyway. While the movie Frozen takes place in the north, the "frozen continent" is Antarctica. I like this title because it is packed with meaning and though it does not specifically name the penguin species, it says everything about them.




1 comment:

Peter Brown said...

A beautiful piece, Linda. So many blues!

I usually come up with a title before I physically begin the work. I prefer paintings that depict or at least suggest a narrative, and an appropriate title often provides the impetus for beginning the process of transforming my reference material into a painting; it reinforces the meaning I attribute to the work and seems to jump start my enthusiasm for the project at hand.