Friday, September 6, 2024

Rocks and Ropes

 

  To me, rocks are not just amorphous blobs, they have form and substance. (My Master of Science degree in geology comes in handy.) Some portions of the rocks in my painting were not in my reference photos which focused on the northern gannets. But, I could extrapolate what the next section would look like and move the rocks around to complement the painting design without destroying their integrity.

 

  One of the aspects which fascinated me about this colony I didn't see until the boat was a bit closer. And even then, we were far enough away (so not to disturb the birds) that my telephoto lens captured the detail. The gannets had used thick fishing ropes and some buoys to help build their nests. The teal and orange ropes were a revelation to me!

 




 

No comments: