Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Word Origins

I'm a pretty good singer. For decades I sang with the Spokane Symphony Chorale, the chorus group with the Spokane Symphony. We sang in German, Latin, French, even Russian with such pieces as Brahms Requiem, Beethoven's 9th, Carmina Burana, various operas, and did a Holiday Pops concert. 

For the past several years I have taken a break from the group because my art shows and painting commissions kept me too busy to attend all the rehearsals and even make all the concert dates.

I have a deep love of music and the vocal component in particular.

So it is not surprising that yesterday while painting I broke in to song. The music I was playing was just what I needed and my voice echoed softly around the vaulted ceiling of my studio. 

Scratch, our cat, was sound asleep..... until I started singing.

He immediately got off the couch and came over to me. Putting his face up to mine and looking intently at me, he gently trilled. It was a bit disconcerting that he was trying to comfort me from whatever great distress caused me to make those sounds. Granted, I haven't done vocal exercises in a while, but was I really that bad?

That leads me to word origins.

cat·er·waul
/ˈkadərˌwôl/
 
verb
gerund or present participle: caterwauling
 
    Might this follow the following word origin?

cat er = counter         wauling = wailing

Caterwauling: the act of a cat stopping you from singing


Have a beautiful, safe, and amusing day.

No comments: