Saturday, August 13, 2022

Painting Underwater

    Lest you think I have discovered a new way to take my easel to the ocean floor, I mean painting an underwater scene.
   In May I was on the Big Island of Hawaii.
   We have a GoPro camera which aids in capturing underwater images. However, it is far from the latest version and I knew this going in. Our GoPro Hero 3 decided to go on strike when we had its back screen attached.  For days we couldn't figure out the issue until we tried it without the back screen. In many ways this was a good thing.
   I spent the non-photo snorkeling time memorizing colors and the feeling of being below the water's surface. Having not snorkeled in a number of years, the "being present in the moment" with no mechanical distractions was wonderful. When we finally figured out the issue and had the camera working on our last morning, my husband and I saw at least five sea turtles in a remote location we had to ourselves. With my husband manning the camera, I was free to watch them feed, grab a breath of air, and fly through the water column.
 
Step 1. Blocking in the underwater shapes
 
Unlike the places I have snorkeled in the Bahamas and Caribbean which have sea fans, elkhorn coral, and other delicate coral formations, many spots off the Big Island of Hawaii have large boulders and basalt ledges.


 
 

No comments: