Friday, August 19, 2022

Purposeful Randomness

  As I was designing this turtle painting I knew I wanted to have some fish. But, which ones, how many, and where?
    Since I determined I wanted this to be a turtle painting, the fish needed to be secondary characters. I spent a lot of time moving them around my composition through Paint Shop Pro. Yes, I like this one here, but no it's too busy to have that one there. Maybe move him over an inch? What about a fish shape in the background for depth? It may seem an odd concept but I worked to create a very specific randomness.
   You might have chosen a different grouping or even different species of fish. For me, when I reached the final placement it felt natural and reflected my underwater observations of locations off the Big Island. 
 
 
 
 
 


No comments: