Tuesday, August 23, 2022

The Turtle

    Some artists like to work on all parts of the painting at once or start with the main subject. Maybe it is how I think - I like to save the best for last. As a child, the last bite on my plate was my favorite of the dishes. 
   With oils, I have wet paint to blend in to as I paint the main subject. I also like having available all the colors I have mixed so far to use on my main subject. This helps with a coherent palette. Maybe because I had no formal art training I prefer doing the "crust" near the beginning and saving the sweet cream filling for the end.  


I am using purple on the turtle's flippers and head. In certain underwater light there were splashes of purple on the turtles I saw and while I may be enhancing the color a bit, it felt like these shades. Knowing the colors I wanted to use for the turtle, I painted some lavender underneath him when I first blocked in the paint. There is also lavender in some of the surface water reflections.

No comments: