Thursday, June 22, 2023

Making Up wood

 As is often the case with reference photos, even if I use my best camera the brightest sections can be washed out or the darkest places too dark.
 
If I were to follow my reference photos of this boat, the stern would be a brown/black blob. My eyes saw beautiful wood planks. Time to make up the wood. Rather than making a solid layer of wood, which would imply a veneer, I made three planks differentiating them with a lighter plank in the middle. 

It may sound kind of artsy-crazy, but as I was painting I was not thinking of burnt sienna or raw umber. I was thinking wood and wood grain. Every stroke was "making" wood. For me I think that helped.
 

 
 

 

Stepping inside the boat. 
While the water is the stage for the boat, that feeling of 3-D only fully comes from the boat playing the primary role. 
 
 
 
 
The visible seat on this boat was white but I thought a wooden seat better captured the feeling of the boat.
 

No comments: