Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Making water wet

 

One of the creative things I like about painting water is that even if you have the "perfect" reference photos, you cannot copy them and make the "perfect" painting. (Not that I am suggesting this painting is perfect!)
I find there are changes that must be made to the water so it reads as truly wet. Sometimes that takes painting this way, adjusting that way, adding color from over here and letting happy "mistakes" happen to have planned randomness accomplish the task. The bottom right part of the painting is a good example of feeling my way through various water passages.
 
Note: All of these photos are quick phone photos with no side to side lighting adjustments.
 
 

 While the water may appear finished, as the boat was painted I looked for areas which required adjustment.
 
 
 

No comments: