Thursday, June 15, 2023

Sea, Sand, & Shore

 Lately I have been working on some larger paintings for the Louisa Gould Gallery on Martha's Vineyard. Usually I will send her one larger painting, a few medium, and several small ones. The gallery asked for some larger paintings this year.

Tackling a large painting takes some extra planning on my part. 
 
First, my usual preferred substrate, Richeson pre-gessoed 1/8" board, maximum size is 24" X 36."  This means I move to a heavier 1/4" board which must be gessoed on the back, edges, and several coats on the front. The board must also be handled to prevent warping.
 
Secondly, my vertical boards to which my horizontal resting board attaches need to be constantly attached and detached. Detached so I can see the entire painting and reattached so I can use the resting board.
 
Thirdly, I have to be sure before I start that the concept warrants a large format. Not all do. Also, will this completed painting fit well in to the group of paintings I want to send to the gallery? It is one thing to paint a 9" X 12" painting and not be happy with it. Quite another to take the time on a large piece only to set it aside.

Lastly, do I love the idea and composition? I will be "living" with the painting for a while.

With all that in mind, over the next several posts I will show you what I came up with for the largest painting in this year's Sea, Sand, & Shore collection.

32" X 48"


It may seem strange to start in the middle of a painting. And for me, it is an unusual occurrence. However in this painting the right side wave sets the tone for the entire water. I wanted to establish it first.
Note: I used a heavier turpentine wash on the boat partly to set the darker values and partly to "be present" as I worked on the water.
 




To even things up I opted to start on the middle left section next.
 



No comments: